Why You Should Attend
This HANDS-ON class is a 2-Day Course, providing you with a practical working knowledge of various ASTM corrosion tests. The corrosion testing equipment used for this standard practice is actually present in the classroom, where you will learn how to operate the equipment and conduct the tests.
About ASTM and Sponsoring Committee G01
ASTM is one of the world's largest voluntary standards development organizations. ASTM standards have grown to be among the world's most widely used and accepted documents. The 81-volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards (now available on CD ROM) contains over 11,000 standards written by 34,000 members on our 129 technical committees. These standards are widely used throughout the world as the basis of purchasing and other contracts, codes, laws and regulations.
ASTM Committee G01 on Corrosion of Metals developed the standards used in this course.
On-Site Training Available
ASTM can bring this course to your site for groups of 15 or more. On-site training courses can also be tailored to meet your specific needs. For more information, please contact sales here or call 1-877-909-ASTM.
Free ASTM Membership
Attend this course and receive a FREE 1-year membership in ASTM International and Committee G01 on Corrosion of Metals. (Applies to new members only and may not be used to renew existing memberships)
Attention: Professional Engineers
If your state has a continuing education requirement for license renewal, ASTM training courses and ASTM membership can help you meet that requirement.
You will learn about:
- Correct application and proper performance of the standard.
- Terminology pertinent to the test.
- Chemical and physical supporting knowledge.
- Ingredients and solutions used in order to test properly and safely.
- How to operate the equipment.
- Collecting data properly and preparing reports.
- Performing on-going operator requirements and responsibilities.
- Utilize safety measures, methods, and procedures.
Demonstrations Will Include:
- Mixing solutions.
- Cleaning coupons and samples.
- Evaluation of results and samples.
- Use of salt fog type corrosion test equipment.
Who Should Attend:
- Corrosion Technicians.
- Product Test Personnel.
- Laboratory Supervisors.
- Anyone who needs knowledge of ASTM corrosion tests.
Note: This course is NOT intended for senior technicians and laboratory supervisors with years of experience.
- Referenced Documents
- Course Notes
- Certificate Of Attendance
- 1.5 Continuing Education Units
- Coffee Breaks
- Purpose, Application, and History of the Test.
- Corrosion and Test Terminology.
- Chemical and Physical Background; and Supporting Knowledge.
- Ingredients and Solutions used for the Test (Water; Salt; Salt Solution; Air Supply; Gases).
- Utilization of Ingredients (Methods and Procedures; Safety Measures; Humidification; Temperature; Fog; Test Pieces/Coupons/Samples; Condensate).
- Equipment (Proper Operation; On-going Operator Requirements and Responsibilities; Safety; Comparison Samples; Standardized Corrosion Coupon; Calibration).
- Analysis and Records (Proper Collection of Data; Evaluation and Interpretation of Results; Preparation of Reports).
- Maintenance (Materials and Supplies; Equipment; Coupons/Test Pieces/Samples; Records; Preventative Maintenance).
- Value of Testing (Cost of Savings; Process or Product Quality Control; Supplies Control; Product Development).
- ASTM Standard: B117 Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus
- ASTM Standard: B368 Standard Test Method for Copper Accelerated Acetic Acid-Salt Spray (Fog) Testing (CASS Test)
- ASTM Standard: D609 Standard Practice for Preparation of Cold-Rolled Steel Panels for Testing Paint, Varnish, Conversion Coatings, and Related Coating Products
- ASTM Standard: D610 Standard Practice for Evaluating Degree of Rusting on Painted Steel Surfaces
- ASTM Standard: D714 Standard Test Method for Evaluating Degree of Blistering of Paints
- ASTM Standard: D1193 Specification for Regent Water
- ASTM Standard: D1654 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Painted or Coated Specimens Subjected to Corrosive Environments
- ASTM Standard: D1735 Standard Practice for Testing Water Resistance of Coatings Using Water Fog Apparatus
- ASTM Standard: D2247 Standard Practice for Testing Water Resistance of Coatings in 100% Relative Humidity
- ASTM Standard: E70 Standard Test Method for pH of Aqueous Solutions With the Glass Electrode
- ASTM Standard: E691 Practice for Conducting an Interlaboratory Study to Determine the Precision of Test Methods
- ASTM Standard: G85 Practice for Modified Salt Spray (Fog)
- ASTM Standard: G87 Standard Practice for Conducting Moist SO2 Tests
- Testing Publication: How To Run a Salt Spray Test-by Raymund Singleton
About the Instructor
Raymund Singleton is president and owner of the Singleton Corp. of Cleveland, OH. Singleton Corp. manufactures accelerated environmental test chambers for corrosion along with other environmental exposure equipment and systems. In addition, Singleton Corp. also manufactures are "barrel type" metal finishing equipment and systems for electroplating, phosphating, black oxidizing, and metal cleaning.
Singleton holds the United States patents for both corrosion testing and metal finishing apparatus. In addition to giving presentations on these topics to various trade groups, he has written articles on corrosion testing which have been published in Metal Finishing and Products Finishing.
He is a member of the American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society and of ASTM, where he is currently chairman of ASTM's Section on Cabinet Corrosion Tests. Singleton obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics from Baldwin-Wallace College.
© The Singleton Corporation and SingletonCorp.com, 2019. Any duplication and/or unauthorized use of this content without the express and written consent from this website’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The Singleton Corporation and SingletonCorp.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.